Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 51

I had a great weekend canyoneering with friends. Actually, it was the youth group activity I've had to cancel four times due to dangerous weather. My friend KimG posted a fantastic entry about the trip.

In other news the United Kingdom is cracking down on photoshopping. A group of healthy body advocates are pushing for warning labels on all ads that have been retouched, you know, like the warnings on cigarette labels?

Here's the problem, ALL MAGAZINES HAVE BEEN RETOUCHED. EVERY SINGLE PAGE, ADS AND CONTENT!

Perhaps they should put a warning label on the front cover. Warning: This media is hazardous to your health.

I only wish the United States would climb on board. Advertising companies claim that the only reason they retouch photos is to give the reader what they want. They claim that people realize that the images they are looking at are not real and are actually hoping to see a "glamorized" version of reality. I call BS to that crock of crap. Most of the women and girls I speak to in my workshops have no idea the images are digitally manipulated to such an extreme extent. The phrase used to be buyer beware, now it's viewer beware.

Here's a link if you'd like to learn more.

No comments: